Thank you Averie, for this delicious recipe idea <3
Vegan chocolate bars, foodies! Come & get ‘em ;)
I truthfully loathe candy corn, but when Averie posted this recipe for homemade butterfingers, I just had to try it. Vegan Butterfingers in less than 3 minutes? Umm, yes please! I tried cutting them into smaller pieces because Averie does claim that they are rich, but it didn’t stop me from eating 3 of them once they were done
After trying to find candy corn in the store, I decided to try making my own. I modified this recipe from The Urban Housewife for candy corn, cutting it down to about 1/4 of the original recipe and making a few changes to the ingredients. Also, because Averie melts the candy corn, I didn’t bother shaping the candies or using food colouring, so this extra step really only took another 3-4 minutes. No biggie
If you have candy corn laying around and a microwave in your kitchen, follow Averie’s recipe. I don’t have a microwave, though, so here come the stovetop directions! Much love
From my kitchen to yours <3
For the ‘candy corn’ mixture:
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tbsp agave
1 1/4 tbsp Earth Balance
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp soy creamer
1/2 cup + 2tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp arrowroot powder
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup soy creamer
1) Line a small, square dish with waxed paper and set aside. I used a glass tupperware container normally used for lunches, sans lid.
2) In a small pot over medium heat, gently heat white sugar, agave, Earth Balance, vanilla extract, & soy creamer. Stir until simmering and well-combined.
3) Sift together powdered sugar, sea salt, & arrowroot powder. Add to pot & stir until well-combined.
4) Remove from heat & stir in the peanut butter. Allow to cool for about a minute, and then pour into prepared dish. Store in the freezer for 15 minutes to set.
5) Rinse out your small pot & gently warm chocolate chips with soy creamer over medium-low heat. Working quickly, remove glass dish from freezer & spread the chocolate evenly over top of the orange mixture.
6) Place back in freezer for 15-20 minutes to set. Remove wax paper from dish & chop ‘Butterfingers’ into bars or pieces.
peace, love, food <3