Vegan Veggie Pot Pie
This pie has a funny story. It wasn’t supposed to be like this, but sometimes kitchen disasters can turn out for the better.
I wanted to make a veggie pot pie in my slow cooker, so I started Googling to find the perfect one. I came across this one and thought, “6 servings isn’t very much to last a whole week! I should double the recipe.”
So I started chopping and realized that, well, my 6.5 quart slow cooker has a limit. So I modified the recipe even more than I intended to.
THEN, I kinda just winged my own recipe for a crust. It tasted really salty, but I thought, “meh. It’ll do.” Then placed it on top. Because the recipe told me to!!
WELL, let me tell you, you cannot “bake” a pie crust in a slow cooker. No matter what Google says. It became very soggy and turned three different colours, depending on degree of sogginess in certain areas. GROSS. I don’t think I have to tell you we did not even try to eat it.
So I scooped the whole “crust” (or should we call it “soggust”?) off of the top and dumped it into the compost. Feeling a little deflated and not giving up on the fact that I wanted PIE and not SOUP, I went out to buy frozen, pre-made crusts while the soup cooled in the fridge. I wasn’t really excited about the idea of attempting another pie crust at the moment, so that’s what I did.
Making only one pie at a time, I scooped the filling into my stoneware pie plate, topped it with an upside down pie crust, cut a couple slits, and baked it.
BOOM. Most amazing pie ever.
I would like to play with the recipe more to get the gravy a little thicker, but we were both so stoked on the flavour that it didn’t matter. Dallas told me it tasted just like chicken pot pie as he proceeded to eat half of it. I vehemently agreed with him as I devoured the other half. This pie is now definitely in our regular dinner rotation as it is cheap, healthy, and can be made ahead of time to last all week. Rejoice, fellow students! Now go make your own.
Vegan Veggie Pot Pie
A delicious, healthy, and fool-proof way to enjoy a vegan twist on the traditional chicken pot pie.
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb mushrooms, chopped
- 4 very large carrots, chopped
- 4-5 cups nugget potatoes, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 cups veggie broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 pre-made pie crusts
- Put all ingredients except pie crusts into a slow cooker and mix well. Let cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When the veggies are tender, let the stew cool before continuing. (I just left mine in the fridge overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Scoop veggie filling into a pie plate (you can make all four at once, or just one at a time).
- Turn pie crust upside down and place on top of pot pie. (It will flatten out while baking.) Cut 4-5 slits in the top to allow room for air to escape.
- Bake pie @ 400 degrees for 50 mins.
- Serve warm and fill your belly.